Work Safe Information
Worker Rights and Responsibilities
A worker can be full-time, part-time or casual. A worker may be a person:
- who applies for WorkSafe Injury Insurance
- who has entered into or works under a contract of service (including a domestic servant or an outworker) apprenticeship or otherwise with an employer and under that contract does manual labour, clerical work, or otherwise
- person who is deemed to be working under a contract of service
- pupil attending a school who is employed under a work experience arrangement
- student of a TAFE provider who is employed under an agreement
- person who is directly employed by one employer but contracted to work with another (such as through an agency – refer to Labour Hire Workers: OHS Rights & Responsibilities)
Worker Duty of Care
All workers have a duty of care to ensure that they work in a manner that is not harmful to their own health and safety and the health and safety of others.
To learn more about resolving health and safety issues, go to http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/forms-and-publications/forms-and-publications/information-for-employees-on-health-and-safety
Reporting an Injury
You must notify your employer of any injury or illness within 30 days of you becoming aware of it.
Making a Claim
If you need medical treatment or time off work because of your injury or illness, you need to make a claim. If you make a claim you can choose your preferred doctor or healthcare provider. If occupational rehabilitation services are offered to you, you can choose from a list of at least three providers of these services.
An injured worker can be represented, assisted and supported in the return to work process. A worker’s representative cannot be a legal practitioner. An employer must consult directly with an injured worker about their return to work, however a worker may be assisted by a representative during any consultation.
Return to Work Information
See below links for more information.
*Important Return to Work Information
*Ministerial Direction – Return to Work Direction
*Return to Work – Issues Resolution
For further information, go to http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/return-to-work
You can expect the privacy of your confidential information to be maintained.